Friday, September 30, 2016

At The Water's Edge

I didn't think I was going to like this book...but I LOVED it!  And I think you willtoo!

At the Water's Edge Book Review
Amazon |  Book Depository
Summary (via Goodreads): After embarrassing themselves at the social event of the year in high society Philadelphia on New Year’s Eve of 1942, Maddie and Ellis Hyde are cut off financially by Ellis’s father, a former army Colonel who is already embarrassed by his son’s inability to serve in WWII due to his being colorblind. 

To Maddie’s horror, Ellis decides that the only way to regain his father’s favor is to succeed in a venture his father attempted and very publicly failed at: he will hunt the famous Loch Ness monster and when he finds it he will restore his father’s name and return to his father’s good graces (and pocketbook). Joined by their friend Hank, a wealthy socialite, the three make their way to Scotland in the midst of war. 

Each day the two men go off to hunt the monster, while another monster, Hitler, is devastating Europe. And Maddie, now alone in a foreign country, must begin to figure out who she is and what she wants. 

The novel tells of Maddie’s social awakening: to the harsh realities of life, to the beauties of nature, to a connection with forces larger than herself, to female friendship, and finally, to love.



Did you know that the photo above turned out to be deemed an elaborate hoax
just like the one that Ellis' father carried out?
Review (5/5 Stars): I think the mark of a good book is when you can't stop thinking about the characters, long after you've finished reading the book. Maddie and her Scottish friends pop into my head every few hours and then I'm suddenly sad because I remember that I finished the book and it's time for me to move on.

Yes, Ellis and Hank are horrible people that you will hate, but that's what they're there for. The story grows, the characters learn and grow, there are twists and turns, there's forbidden romance, and even a little paranormal stuff thrown in for good measure.

I listened to the audio version and it was wonderfully performed. All of the accents brought each of the characters to life so vividly and I could see the entire novel play out before my eyes.

I usually save 5 stars for books that are life changing in some way. I'd prefer a 4.5 but don't mind bumping it up to a 5 just this once.



Check out the author's gorgeous website here.  You'll find a great book club guide along with a free excerpt of the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment

I look forward to reading your comments so make sure to add yours! Every one of them is very much appreciated.

Thanks!